Wednesday, October 8, 2014

What I Learned While In Korea...

It's been a little over a month since I visited Korea, even though it seems like I was there just yesterday! I had been to Korea a few times before, since I have family who live there, but during my recent trip, I went with just my mom (without my dad and sister). I didn't have any expectations before the trip, which was probably the best thing that I could have done.

Even though I didn't have any expectations, I honestly did not expect to have as much fun as I did. Even more, I didn't expect that I would learn more about myself during this 10 day trip than I did all year. Even though the things I learned may be obvious or cliche, I wanted to share the five things that I learned about myself and life, not only because they may be useful, but also because I want them to be in a place where I can look back and be reminded of them whenever I am lost. So here it goes...

There's something about being a different place that make you realize things that, for one reason or another, didn't hit you at home. Since I am a college student, I think a lot about what I want to do in the future, and sometimes I can't help but make my decision based on the idea of proving people that I can succeed in this or that field. I realized, however, that I really need to just focus on what's best for me and somewhat ignore the negative comments others may have about my future plans.

I'm someone who isn't afraid to try new wild foods or try new (dangerous) activities, however, when it comes to decisions involving either my future or social situations, I turn and run. I realized, however, that I shouldn't be afraid to try new things, such as joining some club or considering another major, since honestly, what's the worst that could happen? I will most likely learn more about myself in the process.

Okay, this one is a super hard on for me. I am definitely someone who thinks way too much about what others think of me. This is especially true when it comes to my personality or telling people personal things like my future plans. I learned, however, I need to not care or worry so much about other peoples' opinions, because if I learn to ignore them, it will lift such a large burden and weight off my shoulders, allowing me to be more focused on what is truly important.

This one is pretty straight forward. I need to get a real job for experience, my resume, and something to feed my bank account.

Being immersed in the incredibly fun college Korean culture made me realize that I really need to have fun and be happy. During the past year, I hit some lows that were some of the lowest points of my life, where I was miserable and wasn't happy. When being immersed in the Korean college culture (thanks to my cousin), I learned that I just really need to try to let go and have fun and just be happy. We only got one life and we might as well have a blast living it!

Has traveling ever led to learn new things about yourself and life?
Please leave any thoughts below!

Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...